When I first tried these rolls, I was hesitant not only because of the concept, but the presentation as well. I put my own spin on the recipe, and it has become one of my all time favorites. I love to watch people pause when they see the rolls and then their eyes light up as they take their first bite! Experiment and see: its a riot.
- 1/2 bar of softened Neufchatel or Cream Cheese
- 1/4 C mayonnaise
- 1 T horseradish (do not confuse with horseradish sauce)
- 10 asparagus spears steamed and shocked (exactly 4 minutes in a double boiler, immediately placed in ice water. Be sure to find the "snapping point" by bending the asparagus with your pointer fingers and thumbs. It will snap at the spot where the woody part ends and the edible part begins)
- 10 slices of medium sliced deli ham (Virginia Baked Ham is perfect for this)
- In a small bowl, combine Neufchatel cheese,mayonnaise, and horseradish.
- Spread a thin layer of the horseradish sauce in the center of one piece of ham.
- Top with 2-3 asparagus spears, salt and pepper and roll.
- Serve atop a bed of field greens for presentation.
TIP: you can adjust the 'heat' on this dish by adding to or subtracting from the horseradish. After many attempts, I found 1 T is the perfect amount, lending to the mild side of a medium heat index.