Please Note: If you do not have a pasta press, these gnocchi, while light and delicious, are not the prettiest of pastas, thus the EXTREME CLOSE UP! :)
- 16 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 C potato flakes (instant potatoes)
- 3/4 C flour (plus extra to roll)
- 2/3 C Parmesan Cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 t garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 C Tomato sauce Click here for recipe
- 1 lb ground beef (I use 80/20 for this recipe, be sure to drain off fat)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t red pepper flake (or to taste)
- 2 T canola oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute onion in canola oil until golden brown (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add garlic and pepper flake and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes until garlic turns golden brown.
- Add ground beef and break up into small pieces and cook until browned. Drain off fat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato sauce and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Combine all gnocchi ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix with hands until it forms a sturdy dough.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Dust a clean, cool surface with flour.
- Using clean hands, roll out the 6 pieces to 1" strands.
- Cut the strands into 1" cubes.
- In a large sauce pot, bring 4 quarts of salted water to a rolling boil over medium high heat.
- Add 1/2 the gnocchi and gently stir.
- When the gnocchi is done, they will float to the top.
- Remove with a hand held strainer.
- Add the other 1/2 gnocchi and cook until they float to the top.
- Top with sauce and serve with Parmesan cheese and basil garnish.
- Pairs perfectly with a Lindemann's Bin 57 Shiraz, but that would be outside of budget. :D This meal cost $9.50 for 6 servings!! Enjoy!