Thursday, November 28, 2013

Basil Tangerine Infused Cranberry Sauce



Think outside the box!  That is the theme of our Thanksgiving day this year.  We had a bag of fresh cranberries, and some tangerines, and I was thinking of different ways to bring them together.  I looked over at my wilting basil plant, and it hit me!  I would try making a simple syrup infused with basil and tangerine zest, and see what would happen (we had two cans of the gelatinous stuff as back up).  I have to say, folks, culinary win!  This sauce has such a depth of flavor, with sweet, tart, floral, tangy notes abound!  I don't anticipate it lasting long on our dinner table.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 C water
  • 3 basil leaves, torn (to bring out the natural oils)
  • zest of 1 tangerine
  • juice of 1/2 tangerine
  • 1 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
  1. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine sugar, water, basil, and tangerine zest.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and continue to whisk well and add tangerine juice.
  4. Remove basil leaves.
  5. Add cranberries and bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
  7. Bring to room temperature before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment