Think outside the box! That is the theme of our Thanksgiving day this year. We had a bag of fresh cranberries, and some tangerines, and I was thinking of different ways to bring them together. I looked over at my wilting basil plant, and it hit me! I would try making a simple syrup infused with basil and tangerine zest, and see what would happen (we had two cans of the gelatinous stuff as back up). I have to say, folks, culinary win! This sauce has such a depth of flavor, with sweet, tart, floral, tangy notes abound! I don't anticipate it lasting long on our dinner table. Enjoy!
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C water
- 3 basil leaves, torn (to bring out the natural oils)
- zest of 1 tangerine
- juice of 1/2 tangerine
- 1 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine sugar, water, basil, and tangerine zest.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and continue to whisk well and add tangerine juice.
- Remove basil leaves.
- Add cranberries and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.