Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: Dinner for two, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
Mozzarella and Sundried Tomatoes:
- 12 small fresh mozzarella balls
- 8 sun dried tomatoes, jarred
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T chopped fresh basil
- 1 T minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for mozzarella and tomatoes and toss well. Cover and set in refrigerator for at least two hours. The flavors develop the longer it sets, so overnight is recommended.
- 2 1" thick New York Strip steaks (about 2 lbs), trimmed
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 pinch red pepper flake
- 2 T olive oil or canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- Trim 2 NY strip steaks and liberally salt and pepper, being sure to massage into the meat.
- Heat 2 T oil on medium high heat in a cast iron skillet.
- Add I crushed garlic clove and cook until golden brown.
- Add pinch of red pepper flake once garlic browns.
- Remove garlic clove and place NY strip in pan.
- Cook for 4 minutes and then flip the meat.
- Cook for an additional 3 minutes for a perfect medium rare or until desired done-ness.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2 C arugula
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- the juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 heaping T Dijon mustard
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 t fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk until well combined. Add arugula and toss in the dressing.
- Place arugula salad in center of plate in a rectangular shape. Slice the NY strip and place atop the salad. Arrange mozzarella and tomatoes along the side. ENJOY!
CAHD Wine Recommendation: This meal paired perfectly with a Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot-Cabernet. Bottled in Washington, this under $10/bottle wine features blackberry and raspberry notes brought home by a core of vanilla and a rich, silky finish.