Friday, October 4, 2013

"Guiltless" Angel Hair Alfredo


I have to toot my own horn on this recipe because it knocked the socks off of not only my entire family, but off of myself as well.  It is hearty, rich, and DELICIOUS!  As many of you know, I am currently writing two cooking memoirs:  one about my time as a stay at home dad, and one about my lifelong journey towards health/wellness.  I have been reserving my signature dishes for these books, and had I not been directly asked to develop this recipe, I would have reserved it for the health and wellness book.  It was THAT good. You should try this recipe out, but don't tell anyone that it is "healthier."  Enjoy watching their reactions when you tell them what's in it!  

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb protein enriched pasta (the angel hair worked perfect)
  • 2 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 T corn starch
  • 1 C skim milk
  • 3/4 C nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 C Parmesan cheese
  • 1 T "I'm shocked this low fat product contains no butter" (I can't list it by brand name, but you know what I mean)
  • 1 T garlic powder
  • 1-2 pinches of nutmeg (this is needed to balance the tartness of the yogurt)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil in a large sauce pot. 
  2. Add a liberal amount of salt and pasta.
  3. Cook pasta according to brand.
  4. In a large saute pan over medium high heat, combine corn starch and olive oil with a whisk,
  5. Slowly whisk in milk and reduce heat to low.
  6. Add 3-4 T of the heated mixture to the yogurt and stir to temper it (this will prevent the yogurt from curdling).
  7. Whisk in tempered yogurt, and add remaining ingredients.
  8. Drain pasta and add to sauce, ensuring to mix well.
  9. Garnish with parley and fresh basil leaves.
  10. Watch your family/friends literally freak out when you tell them this is a healthier version.  Everyone was floored when I told them what was in it, and my kids licked the plate!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment